Friday, June 13, 2008

$300 loaf of Bread

So yesterday I had the great idea to bake some bread. The recipe I had actually made 4 loaves. So with the first two loaves Tyson and I (if I am in the kitchen, you better believe Tyson is right there with me!) made cream cheese braids. Yummy! The third loaf we made pizza. Then by the time I was ready for the last loaf...Tyson had played so much with it that I decided to let him just have it and keep tossing it around and playing with it like play dough. I was pretty sure we had enough carbs in the house for a while! Well I could tell this was going to get messy so I sent him outside to do the tossing. When he was done he apparently left it outside, and the puppy got into it. She ate about half the loaf before we realized what had happened. I honestly didn't think much of it and we left the house for a couple hours. When we came back Tyson picked up Ruby to play and I hear him panic "Mom...I think Ruby is dead." This of course sent the panic to the girls and they are freaking out! I look over and Ruby is like a little rag doll. She can't even hold her head up. She is limp all over, and when we set her on all 4 legs, she collapses immediately. Oh creike! So we rush her into the emergency pet hospital because naturally it is 5:30 and our vet closes at 5p.m. They tell us that she has alcohol poisoning from the yeast fermenting, and her stomach is all distended and stretched from the rising dough. It could shut down everything. He says she has a 50/50 chance of making it through the night. She was too unstable to even have surgery...he didn't think she would make it through that. My kids are all bawling hysterically, and I am fighting back the tears too...but am trying to remain calm for the kids sake. Anyway...Ruby got to stay the night at the hospital on i.v. fluids, with several enemas...and catheters. We prayed hard for her, and this morning when I went to the hospital to go check on her...she was as if nothing had happened. Good as new. Apparently she pooped straight bread dough all night long. Then came the bill... $300. I'll pay $300 any day of the week to have someone deal with bread dough poop all night!






See where her leg was shaved for the i.v.?? How sad!

12 comments:

melanie said...

I'm so proud of you for staying calm Holly! I'm pretty sure I would have lost it. And I am cracking up over the bread dough pooping! You are right, that is seriously worth the $300 because that is SO sick!! Glad Ruby is OK now. Gluttonous dog eating all that dough. Did she learn her lesson? (j/k)

The Brown Family said...

Holly, Heather called me from the Summer Games to tell me about Ruby. I was sure the ending of her story was NOT going to be good...and then my Grace would be falling apart over Ruby. Hooray that she is ok! This dog knows how to get into trouble, first the chocolate incident and now bread dough. I agree that the vet bill is worth it...I can't imagine a night of doggy dough poop.
Kim

Granny DeeAnn said...

Poor baby! That's exactly why I don't have a doggie, or a kitty, or a fish. Glad everything came "out" OK. She must have as many lives as a cat!!!

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh! That is soo sad! I am so glad she made it, I hate when dogs are sick! Who would of known that you cold get drunk off of bread dough! That will be the new thing tenagers do!jk!

Heather said...

My boys prayed so hard for Ruby! If she would've died- I'm not sure they would've gotten over that one any time soon. SOOO glad she is o.k.

Shannon said...

How scary! Glad to hear she is better.

kennyandkristin said...

I totally ran in and told Kenny about this. Your poor little puppy. I am glad she is doing better. Also, I am impressed by how calm you were. I probably would have passed out.

Becky Noftle said...

glad she made it!

Becky Noftle said...

glad she made it!

Louise said...

Becky is REALLY glad she made it, and so am I!!

Brenda said...

Why doesn't anyone tell me anything!!!! Poor, poor Ruby! Can you imagine how bloated she must have felt...

T said...

Okay, I tried leaving a comment twice and no luck, so I'm trying one last time. I am so sorry to hear about little Rub's accident! How scary! Poor kids. Good thing they have a super mom to the rescue! I can relate somewhat because I DO NOT feel well after gorging myself on bread stuffs. I too feel bloated and lethargic. Can you blame her for wanting chocolate and bread? 2 of the best things in the world, and totally of limits to dogs. Poor thing.