Saturday, October 11, 2008

First swim meet of the Season

Sydney's 100 butterfly



Sydney 100 breast stroke



Tyson, Mrs. Bradley and Abby



Tyson's 50 backstroke

Today was the first swim meet of the season. Swim season goes from October - Feb...but they do have meets in the summer also. Our coaches only wanted our 10 and under kids to participate...so Kylie sat out on this one...but not willingly! She wanted to get out there so bad. She makes an excellent cheerleader though! I had signed Tyson up for the 50 free and 50 backstroke because there was no 50 butterfly, and that is his favorite event. He had to swim his 50 backstroke in a middle lane with 2 14 year old jr.high kids next to him. They don't compete for ribbons against them, just swim next to them. It was so funny, because when I told him, he said "SWEET! Maybe I'll beat one of them!" This kid seriously has the BEST attitude! He did not beat the 14 year olds but did a great job and got 2nd place in his 50 back and first place in his 50 free. (There was only about 5-6 8 and under kids...but hey who needs to know that?) He beat a kid on our team who is 8 and twice his size! Sydney, as you remember gets a little paranoid at meets, so I sign her up for easy events (50's mostly) so she won't panic. Apparently after I signed her up, her coach decided to change it all and put her in a 200 free, 100 butterfly, and 100 breast...which she HATES!! She got a little upset at first...but jumped in the water and kicked butt! She won her heat in the 100 breast, taking 5th overall, and took 2nd place in her 200 free overall. She was very close to first, and would have taken it if she would have done her flip turns. She said she got so nervous she forgot to do them! There were a lot more girls competing in this meet...probably 12-20 in the girls' events. She had a rough time on her butterfly, which is usually her best, and what she went to state in last year, but she ended up 5th overall. Could have been worse. Her breast stroke really impressed us and her endurance in her 200 free was awesome! She might just be an endurance swimmer after all. I am glad her coach changed up her events without her knowing, she needs to try new things in these meets. Tyson's 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Bradley, and her daughter Abby came today just to watch Tyson. It was soooo nice of her and Tyson was so excited! He was bouncing off the walls when he saw her come in! I was impressed she came and endured...swim meets are LONG even when you have kids in them!! Way to go Syd and Tyson, it was a great first meet of the season!

9 comments:

Ouefs said...

wow...sweet family!haha...

Jenise said...

Swim meets are long, but a lot of fun. Tyson has such a great attitude. Who would ever know he is just a tiny little guy.

Heather said...

Way to go kiddo's! You're all amazing! I can't wait to come watch again!

Brenda said...

Not to brag or anything, but my niece and nephew are really talented. Way to go Syd and Tyson!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Boy Aunt Dee Ann needs to come to Utah on a long weekend to watch you swim. I want to see you in action. Are you swimming on November 10, 11,12?? I have a 4 day weekend? Probably not cause it's Veteran's Day. I am so impressed with all of your talent. I can only dog paddle. If the weather holds out I will try to brave the storm. Let me know.

Louise said...

Great job Syd and Tyson- you guys are so tough!! I hope we can see one of your meets again this year. Be good this week with Grandma and Grandpa Wade. Love you all.

Becky Noftle said...

If I ever get tossed overboard I hope the Wade's are with me. (Is that a compliment? I meant it to be!)

T said...

You guys are awesome swimmers and competitors! What great little athletes!

Anonymous said...

i would love sydneynaked in the shower and do the breaststroke on her, i love having sexin the shower and it would be amazing with her