Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Joy in the Journey

Monday night for FHE I had every person in the family write on a piece of paper the 5 things in their life that were most important to them. It could be anything at all. Some of the answers were : family, testimony/relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, basic necessities of life (food, shelter, clothing), good health, education,and so on. The fact of it is, all the things that are MOST important to us, we have. We absolutely have everything that is most important to us right now. We are so blessed. Why then is it so hard at times to see that? Why do we put so much focus and energy on wanting things that, in the end, don't matter. Why can't we find joy in the journey of life more often, to find the joy in the NOW. It seems as if we are always looking forward to another stage of life, or for certain changes to come. I don't know anyone who ever sat back later in life and wished their kids had grown up faster. It makes me sick how fast mine are growing up. I don't know anyone who hasn't gone through a trial of some kind, only to find that it ended up being a blessing in disguise or that they had grown tremendously during the process. It's just how it works. And even when we are going through those trials or have to do things everyday that we would rather not be doing (like going to work!)we can, and need to find joy in the NOW. NOTHING lasts forever. Everything changes. What a true blessing that is. It is how we learn and grow. How much easier would life be if we could just find joy in the little things each day. If we really look, we can find good in everything. That is right...EVERYTHING. I dare you to put it to the test. There absolutely is a positive to everything that happens. It just might be hard to find, or take a while to figure out. We have to go through the sorrows of life so that we can truly appreciate and more fully recognize the tender mercies of our loving Heavenly Father. I am newly determined and looking forward to focusing on the joys of the NOW! And not just on the days when everything seems happy and easy. Finding joy in the NOW, every single day. Even the hard days. Won't you join me?

9 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

I accept your challenge, I am glad to have one on one time with Jax even though it's for his Chemo.

Brenda said...

Amen sister. I can't tell you how many times I have to remind myself of the same thing, we have so much to be grateful for. And I'm sick too. I had to put most of Will's 0-3 month clothes away. Too fast. He growing entirely way too fast! But with each day he grows there's a new roll of chubbiness for me to feast on! Love you!

T said...

Thanks for your words of wisdom, and for your great example!!

Louise said...

Reading that brought tears to my eyes, this is the last time I read your blog at work! Thank you, I needed that, it is so so true. Have a GREAT day!!

Shannon said...

Good post, cousin!

Shannon said...

ps My joy in the journey today was at my dentist appointment. Not fun being there but at least I could close my eyes and relax without any children interrupting!

Heather said...

Well said. I was thinking about this same stuff last night when I was laying in bed. I was thinking: I wonder when it will be that I will truly miss the 4 year old stage. How I will miss his hilarious little gestures, and how easy he is to love. How he will give me the biggest, best hugs- even moments after a major tantrum! I can always count on him wanting to be with me, and he is truly dependant on me. I know when he's a teenager I will wish for the days when he wanted to be everywhere I was, and never leave my side. I'm trying to enjoy it more now- so I won't have any regrets later! Great post :) Funny we were thinking about the same things on the same day :D

Heidi said...

Great reminder of what's really important in life and to remember what our purpose is here! It's easy to get distracted and discouraged so thanks for the reminder... :)

Emmilee said...

Thanks for that post Holly! I totally agree with you. Most of us are soooo blessed and yet we still want more!! This is a great message- something I know that I could definitely improve in!