Saturday, October 10, 2009

McKenna Can!

This morning Brett, Heather, Brian and I ran a 5k. It was a fundraiser for a 12 year old girl in our neighborhood who has leukemia for the second time. She was in remission at age 10 and now it is back. She is going through experimental chemo treatments 5 days a week. She was there at the race, smiling and happy. Her family says she has the most positive attitude, and nothing gets her down.You can read her story at McKennacan.blogspot.com. There were about 300 racers, so it was like a traffic jam on the narrower parts of the route! It was awesome there was such a big turnout for our little neighborhood! Brian beat us all with a time of around 24 min! Not bad for a guy who doesn't exercise! He also swigged a diet mt. dew right before the race. Maybe I ought to try that next time! Brett would have been that fast too, but he went the first mile and a half with Heather and I. But then he said his legs were hurting because he was going "too slow"! Sorry Brett, but if you were 4'11" that pace would NOT be "too slow!" But honestly, their legs are a foot longer than ours! That is the ONLY reason they beat us!:) I'm sure some heart defected twin slowed Heather down some too, but she was kind enough to slow her pace and run with me. That's the price you pay being the twin with the "normal" heart! Heather and I finished with a time of 32 min. It was about 2-3 min slower than any 5k we have run, but this one had a few hills and it slowed us down quite a bit! The last 3/4 mile is uphill. URGG! I thought I might die. I LOATHE running uphill! Anyway, we made it and it was for a great cause. We actually ran right by our house and my sweet daughters had made signs and were there cheering us on! In fact they were also our photographers for the event. Thanks kids! The theme of the race was McKenna Can because if anyone can beat leukemia twice, McKenna can!
p.s. Happy Birthday to Becky! I love you sooo much sis! Hope your day was FABULOUS!

Brian gives our cheering section a high 5!


The corner of the photo is Kylie's poster, Brett is in the white Lehi soccer t-shirt and Heather and I are on both sides of him, in orange and pink.


Heather and I crossing the finish line.


Hooray..it's all over!


So while you are all praying with me for my nephew Jackson and his chemo treatments, and I know you are, throw in an extra prayer for McKenna. Seriously, you guys ROCK!

4 comments:

Louise said...

I will certainly throw in an extra prayer for McKenna, bless her, and bless you, Heather, Brett and Brian for you efforts. I'm so impressed, I couldn't have done that when I was 18, much less double that age like you guys! Oops, sorry I think just let your age slip out. Anyway, GREAT JOB you all!!

Brenda said...

Way to go Utah family! I'm jealous of your desire to run. I certainly don't have it.

Heather said...

Yikes- you really should have asked permission before posting those photos. Not good... not good at all :( At least we had fun!

Brooke said...

Are you guys kidding me? Way to go! Seriously what a great thing to do and it sounds like a great cause. xoox