Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mount Timpanogos Caves

Ahhh Fall time!



Enjoying the view on the way down!



Cool stalactites and stalagmites everywhere!



I wish you could see how Beautiful the inside is!



Duck girls!



A little nervous at first! (dark and cold!)



Finally! Entrance to the Caves!



Getting closer!



About half way up the trail




The start of the hike




After an hour of straight jumping!!



What a fun, yet exhausting weekend!! Last night the kids and I (and Kylie's friend Jenaka) went to Jump On It in American Fork. It is a fun place with about 50-60 trampolines all lined up together where you can jump and jump until your hearts content! There is even tramps up against the wall so you can literally bounce off the walls! The kids had a blast...and so did I. By the time they were finished ...they were literally dripping in sweat. I didn't get to work as hard as they did because my bladder wouldn't let me. It was a ton of fun though! It was a little dangerous, in fact they make you sign all kinds of waivers before you go. Then when we got home Tyson started complaining his neck hurt. It kept him up most of the night and when he woke up he couldn't move at all. Even me rolling in bed next to him made him start to cry. We put heating pads on it and gave him ibuprofen. He seemed a little better by mid morning but was still holding his head funny. We had planned to hike Mount Timpanogos today because it was free to get into the caves today. Well...Tyson decided to stay back with Aunt Heather, and the girls and I headed up the mountain. It was absolutely the perfect day. The weather was gorgeous and the leaves were changing. Not completely in fall colors...but beautiful none the less! After an hour hike, 1.5 miles and a vertical climb of 1,065 feet...we made it to the caves! What a great hike...work up a good sweat...but not too hard that older kids can't do it! Inside the caves it is 43 degrees year round. CHILLY! The girls' eyes were like Christmas morning! They loved every minute of the caves...and took it all in. They are so cool inside, at times having to duck and squeeze to get through, and other huge rooms with little lakes. It is amazing that it is all formed by water...tooke 1-2 millions years to form. We had a great day...the only bad thing was I had to use Kylie's $30 camera from Walmart, because Brian still has mine on the hunting trip. Some pictures turned out....some not so much. I LOVE the beautiful mountains we live by...I could spend every minute up there...unless of course it is winter! (sorry I am retarded and posted the pictures in backwards order, from end to start...oops!)

8 comments:

kennyandkristin said...

I love the cave but I am terrified of going. When Kenny and I were dating we thought it would be a fun hike. I totally thought I would kick his little return missionary butt....except that I got horribly sick less than half the way up. We haven't gone since, I am too scared.

Jenise said...

Those girls will keep you in shape. That sounds like a fun, but exhausting, weekend. Poor Tyson. I really hate it when my muscles are so sore I hurt all over and it sounds like he had it bad. I hope he is feeling better now.

Granny DeeAnn said...

What a fun week end. The leaves are beautiful. The dumb plam trees down here just die and go an ugly brown. Last year when Preston was born I went from Seattle to Moses and it was breathtaking. Love those Autumn leaves. I'm much more impressed with the hike than the Noftles playing in the mud!! tee, hee

Tiffany said...

Ooo! I love Timpanogos Cave. We went there on a 6th grade field trip and it was so fun! It is quite a hike! Looks like you guys had a good time. I bet it was beautiful with the leaves changing.

melanie said...

I love the changing of fall colors. Sounds like a great hike, I'm glad you guys had a good time. Good thing you had the $30 camera and got a few good photos to prove how awesome you guys are for wanting to make that hike!

Brenda said...

How fun! The last time I did that, Matt and I traded off carrying Kylie on our backs. I think she was only 1 year old. It doesn't even seem that long ago!

Louise said...

Speaking of a long time ago, I remember when our family hiked Mt. Timp with you on my back and Heather on your Dads back. You guys were about 1 yr old. Poor Becky had to hoof it on her own at the ripe old age of 3! It is always a beautiful hike tho, glad you enjoyed it and everyone came back safe and sound.

Brooke said...

You are such a fun Mom! Thanks for sharing Brian with us. He has been such a great help. Miss you guys. xoxo